Saturday, July 21, 2012

Final Reflection - ED 554 Experience

I have truly had a wonderful experience with this class.  I was scared the first day when I learned how much we would need to be involved with technology as I had barely even used Facebook, nonetheless blogged, created podcasts, or even used PowerPoint but a handful of times.  At the end of these few weeks, I now have Twitter, Diigo, and Screenr accounts.  I have created a blog with multiple types of posts, have created podcasts, and have used google docs to collaborate with others and submit assignments. 

My experience has not been without its ups and downs.  I have had to fight against my natural fear of "loss of privacy" and "being exposed."  As a teacher, I realize now (through this course) how important it is to go where our students are and help them see how what they are already doing can help them to grow, learn, and find out more about each other, their interests, and to build the skills they need for life.  I have been challenged in this class.  And I need to increase my knowledge about the free and inexpensive, yet vital digital resources available to help challenge my students. 

I wish we had more time to tap into our professor's brain even more.  Steven Knight has a vast understanding of the current educational issues, research, and trends.  As well as a strong understanding of the programs available to assist teachers and students in building "21st Century skills."  He exemplifies what it means to be a "digital resident" and a "best practices" teacher. 

It has been hard to move at the fast pace required of summer courses, and it would have been useful to have had more time to dive into the available programs and software in more detail.  But with this course, my interest and understanding and beginning skills have taken root and now it is up to me to continue learning, exploring, and utilizing that knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in complete agreement with you! Friends have asked me for years to get a Facebook account--a request I dodged for reasons related to privacy and lack of time. Terry sent a request a few weeks ago and I just couldn't say "no." I was essentially saying "yes" to Steve's advice and recognizing my affection for this cohort. Like you, I wish this class were less compacted because Steve has revealed an entirely new vision on how to teach and engage students. True to best practices and best learning: It's engaging for everyone, memorable, and pleasurable.
    If you're on Facebook, please friend me:)

    ReplyDelete