Thursday, June 14, 2012

EdReach Podcast Summary

The podcast I chose to watch was “Mobile Reach #34 – Back from EdCamp,” hosted by Chad Kafka and posted on 5/25/12. 

During this podcast, which was only audio there were several sections, including mobile learning, mobile news, and online app reviews.  Although I prefer video and audio podcasts, I can see how audio only provides opportunities to subscribing and listening regularly to podcasted shows while commuting or exercising for example where the distraction of videos would not be a benefit. 

I appreciated the discussion about how teachers can make cell phones work in the classrooms and the pros and cons that decision.  Also, it was mentioned that the decision to not allow devices into the classroom gives a message that maybe the students are trusted with them, that technology is for adults and not for children, or other negative messages.  By allowing devices, it may take a choreographed process for the teachers, but ultimately it provides positive access for the students, especially if modeled appropriately by the teachers. 

Other specific uses of technology and digital devices shared during this podcast could be polling, sending test reminders, and teaching overall “digital citizenship.” 

Some of the applications and programs shared were voicethreads, Prezi, PowerPoint, podcasts, Flickr, Geoboards, Qwiki, Audioboo, Audacity and chrome.  I greatly appreciated the discussion about the free Geoboard and Qwiki apps.  While they were being discussed, I was able to download them onto my iPhone and start exploring them.  A fan of tangible Geobards I thorough enjoyed having access to this activity without having to carry rubber-bands.  This is also a great idea for the classroom as the logistics of dealing with the inevitably flung rubber bands is no longer an issue.  Plus students can extend their enjoyment of the activity outside of the classroom as the app is free (if they have a digital device however.  Although, it was mentioned that some schools have iPods that could be checked out of the library; what a great idea!

Response to the question, “Are podcasts something you would consider for professional learning in the future?”

I have found the access to podcasts a fabulous find.  I respond well to the visual and audio perspective of this type of learning environment.  In addition, I appreciate being able to watch and learn in my living room, using my cell phone, or wherever I am with my laptop.  The versatility of being able to pause, play, rewind, or stop and come back at a later time are definitely appreciated. 

Podcasts provides flexible and personalized learning and I respond well to that.  In addition, the information is in shorter chunks rather than half day seminars of the past, so my ability to immediately access a larger variety in a shorter amount of time is great!  I find that when a topic, idea, link, or person of interest is shared among the blogging and tweeting realms, podcasts are great for immediately gaining access to quickly participate in sharing/discussion forums. 

I can see why more teachers are utilizing this technology with their students.  As life-long learners ourselves, why not incorporate the same useful and flexible tools with them?

Within the article, “Enhanced Podcasts:  A New Twist on an Old Tool” by Liz Kolb I was inspired with the ideas shared.  I never realized how easy or how useful accessing so much creativity into one project could be.  What I love about podcasts are the possibilities.  It seems that you have a variety of ideas whether video, audio, or a combination and how the items are uploaded (such as with PowerPoint programs). 

Their purposes can also quite dramatically.  I am truly excited by the various uses, such as piquing students’ interests about a new unit, reviewing material in a much more effective and adaptable way than worksheets, or teaching a new skill for “homework” so as to use class time instead for an activity using that skill. 

You can have a class collaboration to share ideas, assign or have students sign up for group projects, and then the end result could be a combined podcast posted for the school or the online world’s benefit. 

Enhanced podcasts can be fun, purposeful, educational, personalized, as well as encourage critical thinking, creative expression, and shared knowledge for the benefit of many!

No comments:

Post a Comment