Friday, June 1, 2012

Blog Response

The blog that I chose to read was http://flipped-learning,com.  I chose this blog because during our ED 664 class discussion the concept of flipped classrooms was mentioned and it was the first I had heard about it.  The idea made a great deal of sense to me:  Have the homework be the lecture, or the content background gathering portion, and the valuable in-class time spent on putting the content to use in a practical, hands-on way.  I wanted to know more so I turned to this blog to investigate the topic further. 

Upon reading the posts, I found this idea to be even more practical within the UDL and differentiation teaching framework.  As teacher-student time is so vital, why waste it with a "one-size-doesn't-fit all" lecture.  By adapting the way content knowledge is disseminated (audio files, video podcasts, slide-shows, animated clips (as with the link I further investigated called TED-ED), the students are provided a variety of opportunities to gain the background material they need in a way that not only taps into their different learning styles, but allows for better interaction with the material (in ways they are most comfortable or able as well).  For example, the students could be watching or listening to their assignments in the bedroom with their laptops, be at the library using the computer there, using their smartphones while waiting for their parents or siblings somewhere, or even with a friend or at the skate park.  The possibilities are too numerous.

While completing one of our other ED 554 assignments of watching the "Digital Media: New Learners of the 21st Century" video, I realized I paused that video several times to digest important concepts, or I needed to rewind the video so I could adjust my notes.  I found I needed extra time to really process the information "my way."  By having that flexibility rather than watching the video in class, or having to lean over to a colleague to ask them to repeat something I missed, I was able to access the material the way I needed.  The result was that I digested the material better. 

I can see how the teaching strategy of a flipped-classroom makes sense, as it allows for different learning styles and creates a stronger learning environment for the students.  Extending the idea of differentiation further, such teaching subsequently allows the use of class time for working one-on-one with students (creating opportunities to work with those who need additional clarification), time to put the newly formed concepts to practice with hands-on activities, and providing opportunities for collaborative group work.  This also allows the teacher the necessary time and opportunities to conduct formative assessments.  By ensuring formative assessments are conducted, further adaptations and adjustments can be made ensuring the activities are providing the necessary learning for all students. 

I like the idea of student learning centers as a differentiation tool and by using homework time to gain the background content material, the classroom can be transformed into such an environment.  This one teaching idea opens the possibilities of true student-centered teaching.   I also appreciated this websites links and references to other resources such as TED-ED, the Kahn Academy, and http://flippedteach.wordpress.com.   I extended my learning to research these links as well and found even more stimulating ideas and reasons to incorporate this teaching strategy into my "teacher toolbox." 


No comments:

Post a Comment